Saturday, September 4, 2010

ME and my two step


So recently watched Step up 3D, and besides the terrible acting and awful narrative I rather enjoyed it, the dancing that is. The dancing was on point! Man my heart was alive yet again. Where do I begin with my love for dance, Well i danced when I was younger i did modern dance or contemporary dance (as they call it now a days) and then did some hip hop. Wasnt as hard hitting as I desired but dance is more than that for me. Every blady time when I watch a dance movie, I immedialty want to sign up to a dance class and fufill my dancing dreams( like Richard Gere in Shall we Dance). Am I just a sucker for these films or is deeper than that? I mean look at Dirty Dancing, who to this day does not want to be elevated by some sexy man( then sexy). Even Stomp the Yard, Center Stage or Save the last Dance..... I fall for it every time, I even convinced myself  that I will join a class and start dancing immediately. As a film student I am aware that it is ONLY A MOVIE!! ha ha,
The late Patrick Swayze doing what he does best!
There is nothing more fulfilling than putting some music on and just freestyle, or making up you own routine. The music just flows through your body and takes control. Who needs drugs when you can get high from dancing!( wow that is such a corny line). Sometimes I wish i never gave up dancing, well training that is. I really miss it, even seeing pictures of exotic dance moves, grates me because I know if I pursued I would be able to it, well the technicalities of dance.
In the Step up 3D they ask 'What does dance mean to you?' For me it means Freedom, its the only time I actually let go and be me. Any emotional expression I have and cant express for what ever reason, dancing my feelings out does the trick. I always dreamt of becoming a choreographer, doing mostly hard hitting hip hop with the occasional slow dance, aka R&B contemporary vibes.( ok and I secretly still want to be a choreographer). As much as I love me some hip hop, sometimes you gotta turn it down a notch and groove into your zone. The ultimate plan was to make my own music videos in which I direct and choreograph the music videos( super cool i no). Now back to reality, there is no 'music video course' in which I can do for year and get degree in music video production, and join a company the next day and be rewared with a job where I am the director to Ciara music videos. Noooooooo it does not work like that. And thats the thing about this industry it is sooo broad( which is not a bad thing) one day I can be an commercial producer the next day a Music video director. Its crazy but thats how versatile you have to be if you want to make it big. I often sit and ask mysellf , Where do my talents lie???.............
B'girls- Mad respect, Contemporary, Ballet......Beauty!
Yeah so Im still working on that answer.










Ok so like I love checking out dancing videos on youtube, but all the great ones are American based. My argument is that South African Hip hop dance is just not as hard hitting, don't get me wrong there is couple( and I mean few) crews out there that dance good, but they just dont hit as hard as the people in the states. I feel that dance doesnt get taken seriously enough in South Africa. The fire is just not there. I just want to break it down!!! Mann I needa get my own studio, where I can just go and do my thang. Ah well coincidently that will only happen if I'm famous( long shot)
 Anyway....
Dance will always be apart of my life even when I'm occupied by other things.

One of my favourite choreographers - MIKE PEELE I want to dance like this man!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79GgKqk6fzY

AND leave the best for last...................... SOME INSPIRATION:
CIARA RIDE music video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3U4ecNuaUvE&feature=fvst

No comments:

Post a Comment